Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Week 2: Another Day in Paradise

Hey friends and family,
It's been a good week here in Provo. Getting more used to the schedule and the days are really starting to blend together in my mind. I've had a lot of cool experiences even in the little time I've been here. It really is a place where the spirit is strong and blessings come through obedience and hard work. Thanks for the letters and dear elders I've received. Mail is always a good way to end the day so thanks for that. I love hearing about what's going on with everyone. Although there is one thing I'd like to request; somebody keep me updated on the playoffs! Haha.
Well I've seen a lot of friends since I arrived two weeks ago. Elder Jacob Rees, Elder Hunter Payne, Elder Landon Hobbs, Elder Steven Christensen, Elder Alex Munns. I see Elder Munns at least once a day since we're in the same zone and his class room is right next door to mine. It's always cool to see old friends. Yesterday when I was on my way to pick up the mail, I ran into Elder Jones who is from Ketchikan and I got to know while I was up there. It was the first time I'd seen him since I was up there so that was way cool. He leaves the MTC in two weeks for Argentina. I was thinking, if I was one of the missionaries called to an english speaking mission, I'd be out of here in one week. I'm kinda glad I'm not going that quick though. Especially since I learn more and more new things every day so I want to try to take in as much as I can from the MTC while I have the opportunity. Seven more weeks.

I mentioned last time that I got called to district leader, and I've come to realize it's only because it's such an easy district to lead. These elders are seriously awesome. We all get along so well and they all have a desire to follow the rules. Every time I need to pass something along to them, they are receptive and supportive. I've been blessed by them. There are eight of us in good ol' district 46C My companion is Elder Rice. Elder Christensen is from Salt Lake and then a year at UofU. His companion is Elder Whatcott and he's from Boston. He's 6'5" and is a super nice guy. He went to BYU before the mission. Elder Brady is from everywhere since his dad works for the government. He's lived in Switzerland, Virginia, Oregon, and various other places. He also went to BYU. His companion is Elder Foote. He has got to be one of the funniest people I've met. At first he seemed kinda weird cause no one really understood his humor but now we basically can't have a conversation without him cracking us all up. He also did a year at BYU. Elder Hansen is from Alberta, Canada and he is the definition of firm and steadfast. Not only physically but spiritually as well. He's pretty muscular too though. He kinda reminds me of the Hulk show back in the day with the big strong guy who they painted green and he just grunted. His companion is Elder Pehrson who I really like. He's from Kaysville and went to Davis. He's a really good ball player and has a really nice shot. He made ten half court shots in a minute! He claims it's the world record but I don't know... haha. He also did a year at BYU. Elder Pehrson and Elder Hansen will be serving in Montreal and the rest will be serving in France.
I wish I had more time to tell all the experiences I've had but I don't so hopefully next time. One thing that I thought of the other day at a fireside was that in Moses 1:39 it states that God's work and glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. Then I realized that in serving a mission, I'm helping to accomplish exactly that. By sharing this gospel, I will be improving the lives of others, and that's really what it's all about.
Love you!
Elder Oxborrow

No comments:

Post a Comment